Oliver Stone, the renowned 77-year-old director, is taking responsibility for his previous “ignorant” remarks concerning the Barbie film and its star, Ryan Gosling. In a statement released on his social media on Tuesday, Jan. 23, Stone addressed the controversy that arose from an interview last year where he criticized the fantasy comedy film.
The Controversial Interview
In the resurfaced interview, Stone expressed his disapproval of the Barbie film and questioned Ryan Gosling’s involvement. He claimed that his comments were taken “out-of-context” and emphasized that he had little to no knowledge of the project beyond its title. Stone stated that his initial opinions were formed weeks before the film’s release.
Apology and Clarification
Stone, having watched the film in a theatre after its release, admitted to a change in perspective. He apologized for speaking ignorantly and acknowledged the filmmakers’ unique approach, contrary to his expectations. Expressing appreciation for the film’s originality and themes, Stone clarified that his initial criticisms were based on incomplete information.
Impact on Business
Acknowledging the success of Barbie at the box office, Stone highlighted its positive impact on the film industry’s morale. He extended good wishes to Greta and the entire Barbie team for the upcoming Oscars, emphasizing a newfound understanding and respect for their work.
Previous Criticism of Ryan Gosling
In a June 2023 interview with City A.M., Stone had criticized Ryan Gosling for choosing roles in films like Barbie. He suggested that Gosling should focus on more serious projects, criticizing what he perceived as the infantilization of Hollywood. Stone’s remarks then stirred controversy within the industry.
The Evolution of Stone’s Perspective
Stone’s evolving perspective became evident after he watched Barbie. Contrary to his initial critique, he found the filmmakers’ approach refreshingly different. Stone’s statement not only expressed regret for his earlier comments but also showcased a willingness to appreciate creativity outside conventional expectations.
In conclusion, Oliver Stone’s apology signifies a shift in perspective from initial ignorance to a newfound appreciation for the Barbie film and Ryan Gosling’s involvement. This incident emphasizes the importance of understanding a project before passing judgment and showcases the director’s openness to evolving opinions.
- Why did Oliver Stone initially criticize the Barbie film and Ryan Gosling?
- Stone claimed his remarks were made before the film’s release based on limited information.
- What changed Stone’s perspective on Barbie and Ryan Gosling’s involvement?
- Stone watched the film after its release, leading to a better understanding and appreciation for its originality.
- How did Barbie’s box office success impact the film industry, according to Stone?
- Stone mentioned that Barbie’s success boosted the morale of the business, highlighting its positive influence.
- What were Stone’s previous comments on Ryan Gosling’s film choices?
- Stone criticized Gosling for participating in what he perceived as the infantilization of Hollywood.
- What message did Oliver Stone convey to the Barbie team regarding the Oscars?
- Stone extended good wishes to Greta and the entire Barbie team, expressing support for their recognition at the Oscars.